_javascript_ debugger

Hello, I have a little bit of experience coding _javascript_, but that was 4 years ago. Back then, I remember using the firefox console to view errors and warnings. Now that console window seems to be inaccessible to me. I've also tried firebug, and internet explorer's developer tools, yet can't get those to work for me either.

Does anybody here have experience coding in _javascript_, and could recommend a browser with a good debugger?