Re: Where to start?

It's helpful to figure out how to make the most of very little, in my experience. Which is to say, you don't need to worry about Python's sound libraries until you can make arbitrary text-only games.
(I'd probably suggest Python anyway, but if you want out-of-the-box 2D sound and TTS/screen reader support, there's always BGT.)