Re: Scrolling Battles Pro

Okay Xoren, you've been doing this allot longer and in a bigger way than I have, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but I'm still pretty skeptical.
Still, if you actually did buy all those sounds you used in Swamp, GW II and other projects, then you really should have insisted on better protection for them, but since you didn't, and that ship sailed long ago, then you really shouldn't be complaining about the obvious result of that mistake, at least in my opinion.
Stuff like this, especially with Swamp but also with RTR, who's sounds are also unprotected, is what leads people to ask stupid uneducated questions on threads about new games that make the developer look bad and give people unnecessary pause when really, there is nothing saying that these people aren't just using the original sounds or similar ones made from the original sounds of a certain library that you or another sound designer in this community used one time for a game or a mud's soundpack or a mod or something.
This is partly why I'm so excited about all these new libraries coming out, put together by people in our community with their own recording devices and home, work, and school environments, because the licensing is clear, the royalties are non existent, and purchasing them supports members of this forum, instead of massive, faceless corporations who make billions of dollars a year.

I would personally never use sounds directly from Swamp in an audio game, and I would even go so far as to avoid using similar sounds, but I am under absolutely no obligation to do so, I simply wish not to come off as tacky.
But no one has any real rite to question anyone else who does, and it's getting quite tiresome to see people doing it so much, so when one of the few people that should really know better makes a statement that throws a wrench into the already gummed up works, it's pretty frustrating.

I'm not being sarcastic when I say that I appreciate and respect your work either, by the way, but this misinformation leads to allot of foggy gray areas that are really much more black and white.
I would also like to point out that, unless specifically proven to be otherwise with court admissible legal documents that outline the purchase of every single sound someone uses, it's almost impossible to say weather they just Torrented them, grabbed them off a friend, got them off an old file sharing site that's still up, ETC, or not.
And in my personal experience with the 4 or 5 developers that I've talked with about the subject, most of them well known here on the forums, almost no one buys all or even a significant portion of the sounds they use in their audio games, especially the free ones, simply because of the massive cost and lack of a dedicated team or adequate recording equipment.
This has been going on since the very beginning of audio g ames, and to be honest, if you want people to keep making games, then your just going to have to get used to it guy that always asks if you've gotten permission from Aprone if you can use the sounds from Swamp in your dinky little alpha stage sidescroller.
That kind of ridiculously off the mark idea about copyright is exactly what half the people on this forum now think is the truth, and Swamp, though a great game with great sound design, was sadly a major  reason for it.
Fortunately, as I said before, these people that are stepping up with better solutions, like Mason, NS, and Yukio might change that, so Kai, if you don't want people using your sounds, I suggest you start recording, and help change how people do things here with a library of your own, I'd love to see it, seriously.