Re: Good dedicated servers/vps?

Yeah, and being done with UDP is a very, very big deal.  TCP works in lots more places because blocking TCP means no internet.  Blocking UDP just means blocking online gaming, everything else still generally works.  Enet is a good library for an FPS, but outside that it's a really stupidly bad idea.  I get what he was trying to do, but TCP with TCP_NODELAY on works for most things.  BGT doesn't give that to you.
Here's how this goes. Every. Single. Time.  You will experience all the issues I've mentioned.  Because you never learned anything better, you will not realize it.  You will continue using BGT and Windows.  Given enough time, you will duplicate around 5000-10000 lines of code.  If you follow the typical pattern, these will not be shared with anyone, and the next person who does exactly what you're trying to do will also get to duplicate everything.  I know you want the shortcut, but if you r goal is to make online games capable of lasting, then you need to not take the shortcut.  Like other shortcuts, it ends up being a longer way around.  BGT is good for simple games only, and using it for something like this means that I can trivially cheat, that you'll never translate it unless you're willing to share source code or write your own framework, and that you'll have to duplicate a *ton* of other stuff that's usually just done for you.  In the future you will open threads about things for which all the mainstream languages can give you answers in 30 seconds of Googling.  Case and point: in C#, Java, Python, and Go, saving your entire level is only a couple lines.
But I've tried.  I'm done.  Good luck, I guess.  I'm not sure why I even bother anymore.  It's obvious that once someone picks BGT and Windows, there's no dissuading them.  And yes, you tell yourself that you'll leave, but you know, I've never seen it happen. Not once.  If people used proper tools and learned to program properly and took advantage of the 20 years of solutions to problems that this community solves over and over again, we might actually see advanced games from people.  But you've just chosen the absolute worst set of tools for what you want to do because they let you play a sound in a few lines and come with a tutorial aimed at the blind, and like every other thread, I'm completely ignored by everyone.
So whatever, I can't say I didn't try.  I don't know if I'll bother trying again.  I guess the era of 1D side-scrollers and people asking questions that require entire discussions instead of a few lines or "here, just read this tutorial" will continue.  Forever, I guess.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : sneak via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : sneak via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : sneak via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : sneak via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : visualstudio via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : jaybird via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : visualstudio via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : cartertemm via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : imaginingstuff via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : defender via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : defender via Audiogames-reflector