Re: Question about two different processors

There are many factors that could be a reason for the speed difference you say you are noticing. It could be other hardware in the computer, like the hard drive or even the software on the operating systems. Preinstalled Windows from OEM's can sometimes be extremely slow because of all the software in the background eating up CPU time and disk operations.
The other thing to consider is that there are a lot of different kinds of processors, both in the I5 and I7 ranges. In theory, the I7 is more powerful than an I5. In practice it all depends on the version. Recently Intel started to release I5's and I7's optimised for energy efficiency and size. These often end up in things like new ultrabooks or the new Mac Mini. They're smaller, use a lot less energy and of course don't run as fast as a result. They also usually have only 2 cores with hyperthreading compared to 4 cores for a the other I7's found in more conventional laptops and desktops. The sa me can be said for the I5 processors. If you buy a normal mid range laptop that has a core I5, it's very likely it will be able to outperform an I7 in a more expensive ultrabook.
When trying to figure out that sort of information, look on Intel's site first, which will give you the actual number of cores in a processor, you can also look for reviews of the computer that you're interested in or other computers that also happen to have that processor in them. One site I really like for in-depth performance info is AnandTech which, if you can get passed the fact they split up their reviews into 20000 pages is very good and has way more than enough information.