Re: a new teamtalk 5 server I've created

Hello,
The easiest is going to probably amount to trying to host it at home on a windows machine, if you only want to host it while your radio show is streaming live.
If your not wanting to set one up, I, and probably other people, would be more than happy to provide you with a private team talk server of your own.
If you want to set one up, its easy to do if you know what your doing. Here's how it works.
First grab team talk client and server. If you already have an installer for team talk, opt to install client and server.
Next, click start, programs, team talk version, team talk version nt service, install team talk nt service.
A command prompt window will open. Try running as admin though, instead of pressing enter on install, press the applications key and select run as admin.
If it asks if you want to install, press y then enter.
Now, just follow the prompts. Unless your on a linux box or your setup requires it, IP binding should not be required.
Ports I always have trouble getting the default ones to work. If your like me, then change it to something like 6789 or even 1234 which mostly work for me.
The rest is pretty simple to set up. If it works fine, you will see team talk service installed successfully
Now, the tricky part. Here is what most people have trouble with.
If windows firewall asks you to allow or deny the new service, allow it through.
Teamtalk service or even the app, never work properly with windows firewall off, for me for whatever reason.
Now, you need to log into your router.
Press windows plus r, type cmd, then enter.
In the prompt you will get, type ipconfig.
Pay attention to. Local IPV4 address, and gateway.
The gateway is what you will need to log into your router.
If this information does not display first try, type the command in several times until you get the information required. Now, type exit.
Open up a internet explor er/firefox/google chrome window.
In your address bar, type the gateway address into it.
It could look a bit like: 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1, 192.168.2.1 or something like that.
If you entered your gateway correctly, log in.
If you don't know what the default credentials are, go find them on a website portforward.com could probably help.
Assuming your logged in, now is kind of where your on your own for a bit.
Most of the routers/modems I've dealt with have had port forwarding under advanced options, security, port forwarding.
Most routers and modems vary though, so you will have to do a bit of experimenting to find it. Look in its documentation if it has one which most do these days.
Now, assuming you've found it, let's get dirty.
Specify start port the port you set in your team talk configuration.
Specify end same as start, but I always do 5 from the start port. So my port ranges look a bit like 6789 to 6794, just to be absolutely sure.
It's going to ask you for an IP. Some have a device selector, but most don't. If it does, find your device in the list
If it does not, type in the IP you got from ipconfig, the IPV4 address.
For port protocol select tcp/UDP (I always do that.) Some routers call it "tcp/UDP", or "both"
Now, you should be able to click save, or done, or apply, whatever the router calls the button to confirm your changes.
In most cases it will take a few seconds then take you to a screen to review the ports that you have set up.
Click log out, but don't quite close the tab just yet.
Go to whatismyip.org
Go to just below the second heading, and copy the IP address there. It looks like a sequence of numbers just like the IP's you seen before, only it can vary what it looks like, depending on where you live, your ISP, etc.
Copy it, and close the tab. Distribute this IP to your listeners/friends/who ever will be joining the server.
Something you should note. If power goes out or you pull your device from the network for an extended time this will break the IP configuration. All you will need to do is edit the rule in your router and update it so that it has the new IP.
I did not and will not cover static local IP's, as that is a lot more complicated.
In addition, your public IP can sometimes and will change from time to time depending on your ISP.
To compensate for this, I use no-ip and the respective utility (dynamic update client), to give something like unstoppable89.ddns.net out, instead of my IP.
Setting both of these up is beyond the scope of this article, but I suspect you should be able to work it out yourself.