Re: The Windows 10 New World Order

@Chris: Linux is an option, although really the question of which Linux and desktop and how to get it installed is something of a maze. I prefer to bootstrap, which is not the easiest thing in the world to do, because I haven't found a live CD that can reliably provide audio at the desktop. So maybe Windows is still the better option. Perhaps somebody can talk you through installing a desktop, or there are the VI-specific ones like Vinux and Sonar.

@nocturnus: cool beans. Remember to pick up one of these if you are going without a monitor. Apple trackpad is helpful but not required. Numpads on keyboard with numpads are also usable by VoiceOver (although I now use Apple's wireless keyboard without, it's down to taste really).

@arq: not sure I like the idea of a Windows system without updates ... I understand though. Have you applied the registry changes MS offers to turn off the nagware? Or us ed GWX Control Panel? The telemetry is a bigger issue for me.

@wanderer: yep, fair enough, Eloquence it must be, sometimes ... I have JAWS in my Windows VM for that; never gets old. Alex could be a lot worse though, and I'm now quite used to it.

For browsing the web, this is a nice guide. I can also send you my VO preferences, if you'd like to avoid all that work setting it up to (for instance) say "link" after the link's name. In Safari Preferences under Advanced, turn on the use of the Tab key to navigate every element. On this board, and after you set that preference, I just use Option-Tab to find the jump button, press VO-Space, and you can choose a room to go to, except the one you are already in of course, or the default. Or from the main page, VO-H to find heading, interact with the group, make sure you're on the link and VO-space or enter--so yeah, not quite as efficient because the items in the headings constitute more than one element and are not flattened. Actually, I think the fact that VO-space, VO-L/Shift-L doesn't work on the outer heading could be considered a bug because the link actually has the focus, so I'll add that to my list. Happily, the Safari native keys still work; just press enter, and you'll navigate immediately without any interaction, because the room's name link is the focus as soon as you jump to the heading. Learn something new every day. smile

Interesting, then why do you have a MacBook at college? And yes I realise work is more important than learning a new OS, but your dependence on what you're familiar with will probably mean you quit early and often before you really learn enough to get anything done at all. It certainly did for me, and I was using Vista. So, when you find the t ime, try a bit harder. smile

flyby chow wrote:

for the life of me, I am not sure why all of you are bashing windows7 since it is way more stable. and for me, out of a IT stand point functions much better. sure it is getting old in the teeth. and perhaps 8.1 is in my mind, the last, utter last, successor of windows that I can say, functions well.

Win8 has many under-the-hood changes and policy controls that make it superior to Win7, IMO. But, I suppose, from the point of view of somebody dealing with users, I can understand why Win7 is probably the better option for a deployment.

2020--that is when it ends for your organisation, and only if you don't have Skylake or newer. Win8.1 gets just three more years: in 2023. sad

fly by chow wrote:

as for those who complains of not being able to install windows,
perhaps it is time to pull a sighted friend closer, let them teach you once how to do it, and memorize it.
windows xp rite up to windows 10 can be installed by my self no assistance needed.
so, I do proclaim, that it is indeed possible.

I don't have a great memory, and would likely not remember, or would be inclined to dislike the fact that I couldn't be sure if it worked. Scripts or talking WinPE options seem to be the best hope for me. I really can't understand why M$ do not simply include audio support in WinPE. It's possible; they simply choose not to do it.

flyby chow wrote:

as for apple devices, I cannot see my self spending over 40 thousand rand to buy it, for that amount of money i can build my self a monster of a windows pc. dooing exactly what i wish it to do. and do it only that way. how ever that is only my opinion.
i do how ever wish, I had the
opportunity to understand and check out and work with a apple device, for that kind of money to understand why so many of you wishes to use it.

If you read all of what you have written in your post, you will find that you have answered your own question, most eloquently too. smile

You're right; Windows is turning very bad. That's why I use Macs. Sure, Apple are no saints, but by God, the Microsoft alternative is intolerable. Choice of hardware doesn't change that, even though, honestly, I love that Apple will take care of that for me, too. Macs make terrific Windows machines, contain no bloatware or spyware out of the box, and have excellent build quality and near-silent operation. Apple is the best OEM and make awesome computers for most purposes. Self-built is great if you have the skill, if you have very specific needs, and don't mind that your machine will probably not be the most efficient or quiet you'll ever own. I respect that people choose to. But, for me, as long as Apple stay in this business and a more open competitor don't come along, I'll probably keep buying Mac. Specs are not everything. JMO.

I agree, XP is now very old. But it's just the thing for a VM, where you can control accesses. It's only for those few things, like games etc. I can't deal with Vista or later, really. Well, I can, but I, well, refuse to. smile

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : blindncool via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : arqmeister via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : wanderer via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : flyby chow via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : arqmeister via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : wanderer via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : arqmeister via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : arqmeister via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : connor142 via Audiogames-reflector