Re: Becoming a computer programmer

I have to agree with the above posts on the fact that Python is definitely one of the easiest languages to learn.
It wasn't the first language I familiarized myself with however, and I do believe things would have amde more sense in the beginning for me if I had started with it.
Don't let the above fool you into thinking python isn't a full blown language, or isn't powerful or advanced (these are some of the common misconceptions I often hear after stating it would be a good language to start with).
As far as info on starting in the CS field, I don't have any specific resources I can give you, just some general advice:

Start familiarizing yourself with a language, almost any language - try to understand object oriented programs (oop), and how they differ from languages that don't use oop.
Code something in your language of choice. It doesn't have to be a complex, end-user ready application, maybe just a small utility tha t you've been wanting to make for a while. Everything I know about programming and computing in general I learned myself. I'm sure this has lead to a few insightful topics that your avrage computer science class doesn't teach, and I'm even more sure there are gaps in what I know, simply by the fact that I haven't needed to learn something yet. Luckily, My major will be in computer science tongue.
Good luck and happy coding!

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Victorious via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Cody_91 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Victorious via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Theo via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Victorious via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Theo via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Blademan via Audiogames-reflector