Re: looking into a laptop

I would get something with 6 to 8GB of RAM, as well as a third or forth generation, (Ivy Bridge or Hazwell) I5 or greater processor; if it's fifth or sixth generation, (Broadwell or Skylake) than you can probably get away with an I3 or greater; if your going with AMD instead of Intel, than make sure it's an A8 or A10 APU (5000 series or later). The processor model it's self doesn't matter as much, just make sure that what ever you get is either a dual core with hyper threading or a quad core, and isn't super old, like 2010 or later; shooting for above 2 GHZ is also a good idea, as well, and having at least 1MB L2 or L3 cash per core is vital.
You can easily look up information about your model of processor by looking for it on Google, and adding the word "Arc" if it's Intel, otherwise, if it's an AMD, try "Notebookcheck".  You can also compare two processors down to the tiniest detail using CPUBoss.
If you also think that you might decide to play some mainstream games down the road, think about getting a dedicated graphics card, like an Nvidia GTX 7000 series or above, or an AMD Radion R7 or above, since it helps the processor allot even if you don't have sight.  Also make sure that what ever dedicated card you may get, it has at least 2GB of DDR5 or 4GB of DDR3 memory.
A solid state drive is a really good idea as well, and will speed up the computer considerably, both audio games and code don't take up allot of room, so anything that's 120/128GB or higher will work just fine.
If you can't afford one, or you just can't find a computer you like with one, than at least try to get an SSHD, a regular hard drive with a miniature SSD embedded within it, which will speed it up a bit, though not as much as a regular SSD.

The reason I suggest this much RAM and a processor with a minimum of 4 threads, is because it would be a really good idea to fi nd an accessible program for virtualizing Windows XP along side your normal OS and that takes extra power; not only because many good audio games still only work on XP, but also because it would be easy to test code compatibility with a program like that, since you should additionally be able to use Linux as well!
If you want good sound, do your research on the specific laptop model, trustedreviews, CNET, Tom's Hardware, laptopmag, and Anandtech are all good sights for finding information like that... However it's generally understood that Dell and Asus have the best sound on mid range laptops from what I've read.
You should try not to pay more than 800 USD for a laptop like the one I outlined above, unless you spring for a dedicated GPU, in which case that number goes up to 950 USD.  But going above by like, 50 bucks isn't a problem at all, just don't pay, god forbid, say, 1200, otherwise your getting ripped off. big_smile