Open world RPG questions

The following questions aren't from me. They're from an RPG dev who is curious about blind accessibility, but they don't do forums so I offered to pass some questions on:

- What would be needed not just to make an open world RPG experience accessible, but also meaningful?

- I feel like a great story is meaningless if the journey from point to point (travelling around the world) is empty or not enjoyable. The enjoyment of these journeys for me is because the outdoor environments I'm travelling through are so visually rich and varied. How could you avoid those environments being empty and boring without visuals?

It's not for their current game, but they'd still love to know more about what's possible.