Re: Goodbye Windows XP, i still get nistalgic over you.

I didn't disable the sounds in El Cap; seemed fast enough for me, at least with Alex. On yosemite it's definitely slower, but I've got used to it after downgrading but leaving the sounds on. I think they provide vital info you can't lose, but I understand your desire to get them out of the way for speed reasons. And the Tab key usually moves pretty consistently, so give that a try. You can also use hotspots and the Find command. Read the VO help and try stuff out. If you haven't already yet, read the "Getting Started" manual, which covers most of the important stuff.

I posted a zip of my Yosemite and El Cap VO preferences here. The one without "Yosemite" in the name is, of course, the El Cap one.