Re: What we know about Over Watch?

I think people forget that innovative audio design in a mainstream game might not mean what innovative audio design would mean here.  Many big budget mainstream games don't even pan sounds or lower volumes if the objects are on the other side of walls!  The visuals are the primary focus, so much so, that players don't even notice those issues with sound.  I had played minecraft for years before I noticed that the sounds don't change when a monster is right next to you verses being 2 floors above you, separated from you by 10 feet thick of stone.  It seriously took me years of playing that game to even notice, and I'm sure my work here in the audiogames community made me more likely to notice than your average sighted player.

Years back before I came here, indie games I made almost never even had any sound.  Times have changed a bit in recent years, but most of the little indie games I played either had no sound, only a looping bac kground track, or 1 or 2 clicks from when buttons were pressed.  That was it.

If a mainstream game is released today, and it has taken only as much time worrying about sound as we have here in modern audio games, they would be well within their rights to advertise the game as having innovative audio.  So when it comes to claims made by mainstream games, remember that their audio is often behind ours, so their "innovations" might not be what we would consider innovative.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : nuno69 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : livrobo via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : livrobo via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Aprone via Audiogames-reflector