Re: New computer,what should I go for,mac,windows etc

Dell Inspiron 5000 and 7000, not just Dell 15 5000 and 7000.
The numbers correspond to I3, I5, and I7 processors, that's why there is also a 3000, so your probably not looking at the right ones.
Also, make sure to find the ones with Broadwell (5000) or Skylake, (6000) series processors, to get the newer ones.  You'll know because it'll be in the chip's name.
They should be a minimum of 2.2GHZ, but 2.4 and above is best, just remember that these days having the highest clock rate possible isn't really worth the price if you aren't doing something out of the norm like heavy video editing, batch conversion of large files, or frequent high compression of data. Besides, it's just one of many factors, and this holds especially true when deciding between a dual core or quad core, as nearly everything you do uses only 1 core anyway.
Look up the various processors on arc.intel.com using Google for speed, and the identifier, E.G. & quot;I7-6300U arc", to find out the specifics.
You want at least 3MB shared cash, 4MB is best, and just double those values for a quad core.  Hyper threading is useful especially on dual core chips, but it shouldn't be a primary deciding factor, and turbo boost is also important, as long as it actually gives a decent increase in speed, basically anything more than 300MHZ, though it will barely ever even kick in anyway.
Keep in mind that the difference between I5 and I7 processors has also been pretty negligeable in the last three years, in terms of how much extra you pay VS how much extra performance you get, and it's unlikely you'll need that power advantage most of the time anyway.
Those numbers are useful but dont' really give the full picture so if you want to compare two units to see which is best, then use CPU Boss, and make sure to explore each of the headings to get the info you need, because the statistics are all presented in a format that any consumer should be able to understand, even without much technical knowledge, though the more advanced stuff is there as well if you want it.