Re: Harry potter books memories from harry potter fans

I have to say that Jell-o in ice cream also sounds pretty disgusting, only slightly less so than jelly. Yuck!

Count me in as another person who absolutely despises the ending of the seventh book. While I can kind of see the point about Harry not being able to win, I think it would have actually been ok if he had died. Killing off your main protagonist is usually frowned upon, but honestly, I would have accepted it in this particular instance.

When harry went into the forest, I had pretty much given him up for dead. I was mentally preparing myself for it the entire time he was walking with his parents and so on. The grief-stricken citizens of the wizarding world, already battered and broken by the losing battle that was raging around them, honestly couldn't have had their morale shot to hell any further.

For harry to triumph, not only over his near-death experience, but then pretty much not have to do anything at all to kill Voldemort, was just too much of a stark contrast to the horrors of the previous battle. It basically left me feeling as though Lupin, Tonks, Fred, and so many others died in vain. Speaking of which, that was one brutal fight, and I cried several times while reading it for the first time.

But that's not even what I hate with a burning passion. No, I abhor the stupid epilogue.

The fact that it was all happily ever after is just a complete load of bullshit. There is, of course, the nauseatingly trite bit where Harry names his kids after those who influenced him. it was too much of a cliche. I might have simply rolled my eyes at that and moved on, except for one thing...

Harry and Ginny, the series's most odd couple, being as carefree as they appeared in that final scene really, REALLY bothers me. Let's face it: the kind of carnage that Harry directly caused would leave profound psychological scars on anyone, yet we see absolutely no evidence of this. I don't even think that wizardi ng psychology/counseling was a thing, and, even if it was, I would be willing to bet that such things were generally frowned upon. I say this because the views that much of the wizarding world held were rather antiquated, and in many old-fashioned societies, counseling, to say nothing of mental illness, was generally looked at with disdain.

So, let's recap. harry goes from sitting in Dumbledore's office, feeling the entire weight of the world on his shoulders and reflecting on all the mistakes that got him from being that scared little boy on Platform 9 and Three Quarters, to Voldemort's defeat. Then, we go to this sappy, saccharine ending that's designed to please those fans who were only in it for the love story anyway! That makes absolutely no sense, and it pisses me off every time I think about it. It's jarring, and it's just plain stupid.

So, now that I've ranted about that, let me say that I get great pleasure out of reading fanfi cs where Harry and Ginny's marriage is on the rocks.

Finally, since everyone else has stated their favorite books, mine was definitely the Goblet of Fire. I felt that it was long without dragging, the way the Order of the Phoenix did at times (although I did really like that book on later rereads), while showcasing a bit of the darkness that was in store. It had just enough teen angst without going into overdrive, again like Order of the Phoenix, while also maintaining the last bit of charm that the earlier books had.

I think that's probably enough from me for now, but those are just some of the things that came to mind as I read this topic.