Latency issue fixing for VMware Fusion and Rhythm Rage

Hi everyone,
I know that the whole sound buffer thing in Fusion, but whenever I follow the steps on Bryan Smart's site with VMware 8, the sound device does not boot up, even after going to the "Reinstall VMware Tools" option.
I know someone who is playing on a Windows XP VM, but that's... XP. Anyone know how to solve it so that I can at least get past level 2 on a VM?
Hell, if i can pass the first level of Rhythm Heaven Fever on a VM, something is clearly wrong with the timing and this game. Period.