Re: Buying Eloquence

First, @Josh: Arq is right, please condense those posts. Eight or so posts gets really time consuming. Second, the watermark doesn't seem to apply if using nvda. I've only seen it in speech properties. Even so, they kinda left it open, so no offense, but it is Baum's own fault that the flaw exists. I'm not trying to trash Baum, but since they didn't actually lock International Tts inside Cobra or Vergo, it is going to be easily used. Gene: Not everyone pirates with no shame. The hard rule against cracking applies especially to games, but that doesn't mean software piracy can just float around. Some time ago, a post was made asking for a crack to Adobe Audition, or a similar product. Guess what, post removed, warning given out. I respect the rights of most software developers. Note the word, most, and also note that there is not a long list of devs that I actually don't respect the rights of. All games developers have my full repsect, as do most s oftware devs. Here's the scoop with Nuance. They do not, in my opinion, fall under the category of software developer, more so antitrust monopolizer. They have done nothing of their own creation, whatsoever. They merely modified the original realspeak voices, acquired 15+ companies in the last decade, which, by the way, they did not give the companies the right to refuse acquisition. That's not to say that they're the only corporation that does this, but it's been a repeating pattern. In fact, one of their major acquisitions of Royal Philips Electronics led them into antitrust investigation, but it doesn't look like that went very far. Long and short of it is that all they do is incorporate others' speech technology into their mass engine, with no originality. Until recently, they have left customers high and dry with screen-reader bound versions of their engines with strong drm, especially on the free screen readers. Therefore, I have no respect for th em and want people to know that. That, however, is not my attitude towards other devs. There needs to be reasons for me to have this much hatred, and this is the only dev that I actually express this kind of feeling toward. Put simply, if the speech industry becomes a monopoly, we're screwed. The war isn't over until either Nuance's monopoly completes, or salvation comes in a random event that causes Nuance to go bankrupt.