Monthly chat August 2016

Well another month, another monthly chat topic. As per usual, this is the place where we discuss life the universe and everything, cricket robots, the number 42, what your playing/listening/ to/watching/reading, how your life is going, whether you have plans for world domination, if you've had your head bit of by a saber toothed yack or donated your pre frontal lobe to science, that sort of thing.
Unusually, I'll say our last months round of assorted metaphorical chin wagging got quite the conversation, so I actually have to reply to several comments from that here.
To save people's examination of the conversation, here is a link  to July's topic, though remember that as it's August that topic is being retired.

I'll say being married agrees with me, although later this month we have to return to britain and go to the Aims music school, which means for the next cou ple of weeks my lady and I have to get off our respective rear ends and actually learn some music and do some practicing, indeed my lady's parents have asked  us to sing at their church (she's not amazingly keen given her slightly rocky relationship with said church and the fact that said church is a bit extreme, but I sort of feel obliged given that the pasta did marry us gratis).
On the plus side, yesterday I got pontes media downloader to behave, so have downloaded the accompanyment and indeed learnt the misty mountains song from the first hobbit film. While I don't like the fact that it blatantly ignores tolkien's actual words and includes some extremely questionable rhymes (gold with heart and soul), It is a rather awesome song, very much aimed at a tenor and something it's great to sing, though methinks said pasta would be less pleased if I did it at church since I don't think slaying of dragons is usually part of their ideas of christi anity, Saint George withstanding big_smile.

Things however have mostly been extremely peaceful and I continue to split my time equally between spending time with my lady and her family, reading, and playing manamon, albeit I still didn't get much done on the game generally.
I'm reading Feist's magician which I'm still waiting to pick up. At the moment I confess the D&D rather standardness is getting a little irritating, that last chapter even featured descriptions of "Dwarfs with their strong constitutions" and magic weaponry with the "affect undead" state.
I do recall from my wiz through the book years ago things picked up when the actual war between the two worlds got going, also it's very obviously and manifestly Feist's first novel. Still I'll save thoughts until I've read the book and for if I decide t o do a review, which I might since I'm actually rather enjoying writing them at the moment, though since I'm only about a quarter of the way through that'll be a while, though I do also need to do some ork for audiogames.net since as per usual we have lots of games to add.

@Cae, Mistborn is pretty  good, it's one of my lady's favourites, albeit that since I read it very quickly over course of a music school week my memories aren't too clear and I want to reread books 1-4 before going on to the newer ones.
I'm not one of these people who thinks "Sanderson is god!"  (though stormlight is shaping up to be a pretty good read), however mistborn was genuinely a really interesting fantasy with some nice twists and progression, and he does actually kill characters albeit not too often, indeed the central premise of who the evil overlord (no he is actually called the overlord), happens to be is quite a uniq ue one.
I am also pleased that unlike in some of his series he dishes out all the darkness on gender lines which is good, some of the bits of Warbreaker where the utterly evil bad guy who you'd just seen slaughter several people and wound the good guy, ties up the heroin and stuffs her in a cupboard without actually hurting her for no readily aparent reason were sort of begging belief a little big_smile.

Mistborn however is one where Sanderson actually remembers to have bad things happen to ladies as well, or at least have ladies in equal amounts of danger to the guys (this was most extreme in Elantris, where the princess was so dam safe constantly I felt her sections of the book were a little poinltess).
Mistborn does get a bit too super heroy in places for my liking, also I've noticed that sanderson's systems of magic problem often makes events feel a little too much like using skills in an rpg rather than reading a book, though this probably will bother you less than it bothers me.

I'd say next to stormlight mistborn is my second favourite Sanderson over all.

As regards  The dArk tower, if you can get through the first volume the series is amazing, and also explains a lot of other aspects of King's work such as insomnnia, Salem's lot etc, actually the way he ties things together is pretty awesome. In particular I'll say the aesthetic of the series will definitely appeal if you enjoy semi quirky almost steampunky westerns come post appocalyptic weerdness, actually i need to reread the series myself since I read each volume a long time apart.

Thanks jjgeek, the wedding was amazing and I'll say hotel hershy looked pretty nice and provided us with a great time, the roses on the bed etc were lovely indeed!
Independent travel is I think more difficult in the states simply because of the lack of trains or busses or anything else, one reason my lady wants to live in Britain.

    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : brian . kurosawa via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : brian . kurosawa via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : garrett via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Ishan Dhami via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Aprone via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : brian . kurosawa via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Aprone via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : arqmeister via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Aprone via Audiogames-reflector