Re: Security: what are you using?

Well nocturnis that is at least refreshing.
I really do not want to move away from msse, a lot of people on other lists said it was good but is now bad.
I am online and sophos could be an alternitive.
As for updates most major stuff does itself automatically.
I do manually update some stuff.
I am carefull where I go for the most part and have noscript on firefox.
However I have always wandered for something a bit better.
Yesterday I contemplated doodling with sophos for all systems.
I have a small home network and a cloud based model means better management.
I do realise I loose local functionality so will have to get another program.
Its good to see that msse is once again up there and defender is there to.
Fact is, what I like about the ms stuff is it manages itself itself, its doing it now.
The only thing I have had to do is exclude a lot of large program backup folders of files on the backup drives because I had some questionable files in there being flagged as bad, though I have made those go away now the folder always loaded slowly during opening.
Sadly at least 2 false alarms have come up and I am again wandering if the app is worth it.
With large broadband going on, it may make sence.
On the privacy front privacy is dead.
We submit ourselves to social networks, emails, skype, our picture no our entire lives are online.
When we put our bank info it accesses something on the cloud our identities our government information.
We have allready chucked the notion of privacy out the window.
While you could hang on to hte ilution that you have it, there actually is not much more of a step to chuck it completely out the window.
Even ms spys on its users.
Even the government spy on us.
With that said the only protection we need then is to stop the crimms coming back in to make our lives hell and that is it.
The other thing is to make sure those tha t have our info do their jobs and not suck.
Bar that I see no real advantage to protecting our information.
Even if we never used a computer in our lives our info would be stored online and if that is the case privacy is dead.
I don't mean be stupid about it, but the net mirrors the real world now, and we should treat both as such.
I know text is not the right medium for a full descussion but thats the life we live in.
There was a time before blogs when we could be isolated and not be noticed but even now someone is listening its the net and the net can be real life in some cases, this case for example.
The only difference is it never sleeps and is still a little wild westy or can be dangerous but so can the city streets at night.
THe real world has the same dangers.
I actually think we should quit the notion of privacy as such because we chucked it out a long time ago.
To be private now you would have to have no registrations with a nyone, the net, you couldn't have even a birth certifficate, heck the dead are registered somewhere.
I don't think there is a way to remain private this day and age.
We can fake it to some extent but still.
Its why we must be carefull what we do both on and off the net.