Turning Popular Franchises into Fanfiction Novels

Hi, All.
So recently I was involved in the realm of what it meant to write a fanfiction. Like other genres, people who are fanfiction writers subconsciously get involved in their own little world. While I was researching, I heard that some people like to write pages of stories involving their characters as they progress through a game such as Entombed or some mainstream game. I heard that this sort of stuff is common.
My question is, has anyone been inspired to write something based off of an audio, video, or any other game to give your own tale?