Re: i think last ultra power: old version of ultra power

Hello,

if we are talking about ultrapower again and since Aaron is a moderator and has not removed the topic yet, I hope I will be permitted to say a few things:
1. I feal that calling me a copycat, at least, is somewhat incorrect. Although I certainly used code I probably shouldn't have used, I never said that it was mine. I didn't modify the readme either, so if at all, I was not claiming credit for what someone else wrote.
2. I just did some searching on my external drive, and I do have a copy of ultrapower source code, with my modifications, server version 13.31, the last server version without massive bugs. So if *everybody* including mason is ok with it, I am willing to host a server on a fast vps, put up the sourcecode again, maybe write some documentation about missing info, and fix critical bugs, No new features!
3. For everyone who doesn't know, if you ever played ultrapower and used an important password, make sure to change it immedi ately. This does not include server version 13.0 or client version 11.0 or above. In those first versions I made, I changed the way passwords were stored. Previously, they were encrypted with a key, which was also leaked along with the sourcecode. The first thing I did was to store the passwords as hashes, which is basically a way wherein you can convert an entered password to a hash, but you can't convert a hash back into a password, technically you can, but you would need to bruite force it, and sha512, a widely used algorithm, takes approximately 500000000 dollars to crack per password.
4. The only reason I started messing with ultrapower, was to satisfy the 8 something players that were online at servers at the time. What's also not found often in audiogames is that you could host your own server. I know, topspeed and rtr and sound rts allow you to host your own server, but ultrapower was, as far as I know unique in that it allowed you to host your own server and that it was a sidescroller with a large number of items. I
Ok, I'm sure I forgot about halfe of the things I wanted to say, but at least this is a start.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : mate1993 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : cartertemm via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : cartertemm via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : roelvdwal via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : brian . kurosawa via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : manny447 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : ogomez92 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Ishan Dhami via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : prajwal via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : brian . kurosawa via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : kianoosh shakeri via Audiogames-reflector