Re: A new audio game from a new developer - Dark Passenger

Hi guys,

It's new demo day as promised! I've uploaded a new version of the game with some changes as found below.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uuezvppey91a … bxZca?dl=0

Patch notes:
Dark Passenger Demo V2 - 5th September 2016

General Changes:
* Added a short audio intro when the game starts.
* Players will now hear a bump sound when moving into a solid object such as a wall
* Made many areas much wider and made the walls less obstructive.

Bug Fixes:
* Players should no longer stick to walls, movement should be much more fluid when moving near walls.
* Fixed footsteps sounds and other sounds meant to be at the player's location not being centred.
* Footstep sounds should now play while moving up and right at the same time.

Level Changes:
Starting area:
* Made the starting area much wider and restructured the area, changing the location of almost everything.
* The heart beat has been made a bit less rapid and a bit quieter.
* The player has been given an extra 10 seconds to find the tranquilliser, the guide now tells the player to hurry up finding the tranquilliser 10 seconds later than previously to compensate.

Second area (Sleeping guard area):
* Reduced sleeping guard's detection range and slightly increased his sound threshold before he awakes.

Fourth areas (Patrolling guards area):
* Guards have not been skipping leg day, they are now a bit faster.

Final demo area (Escape area):
* Changed the guide's pathing to allow the player to more easily follow the guide and be less prone to walking into traps.
* Added a voice segment to let the player know the demo is over once completed.

Not yet implemented:
* No menu as of yet, will try to put this in later but no schedule on this as of yet.
* No Controller support as of yet, will look into this shortly.

Recent Comments:
Ishan: What do you mean by Logo sound? Do you mean the sound that plays when you see a developer's logo in a game? If so, I'll admit I never even considered that! especially since no logo shows since there's no graphics at all!

hanif: I think Quick time events can be really hit or miss, they are very Marmite... people rather love them or hate them! Currently there isn't much of a focus on combat in the game as its simply moving around paying attention to sound to avoid enemies.

At the moment I would like to keep things simple, especially since sighted people will likely struggle without the use of their eyes as it is playing the game. Me and my friends have already died countless times due to not being used to relying on our ears, it's a good laugh.

That said, the game does become quite a bit harder a few levels after the demo ends, if the first release of the full game turns out to be too easy or too simple, I'll certainly look into how I can mix it up a bit, it's no fun if the player never dies after all...

I'm going to get some sleep, tomorrow I'll get that new thread started. Let me know what you think of the latest demo!

Cheers,
Dan