Re: Quic question, regarding training centers

I am currently at the Louisiana Center for the Blind.
I have complaints, but not of the deal-breaking sort.
It really comes down to the individual's needs/tastes/etc.
But I also do not hate slating or the NFB canes, which seem to be major turnoffs for most people (including students who make it all the way through).
On the one hand? I should totally have done this a decade ago.
On the other, well... Hmm.
Maybe I should just share that essay I had to write in the technology class? Keeping in mind that it's tailored to the original audience and my notes as I was working on it go back and forth between snarky and anguished tongue. (Essays and I don't exactly get along.)

Things-that-might-be-cons:

  • There's this underlying assumption that of course you are involved in the NFB; why wouldn't you be?

  • Ar e you in the habit of keeping your living area spotless? You will be. You will be...

  • Umm... I don't remember most of my complaints at the moment, actually. Every time I go to a graduation, it makes me all depressed? Sure; let's go with that one.

Things-that-might-be-pros:

  • You're on your own for pretty much everything. They provide the apartments, the classes, transportation before you prove yourself capable of walking between the apartments and the center proper, and sleep shades, and will sell you canes or cane tips and slates and styli and things. But when it comes to food, going places that aren't center activities or travel assignments, internet connection... that's all on you.

  • Generally, classes are small enough that everyone can work at their own pace and get appropriate attention from the instructors. (Sometimes this doesn't work out quite so well, if multiple students nee d lots of attention at the same time. This doesn't come up too often, though.)

  • I'm putting "it's conveniently located" as a pro, even though I'm afraid that's going to get me way too use to being able to walk almost everywhere. It would be kinda daring to walk to, say, one of the more popular shopping areas (Wal-mart, Super1) and tote supplies back (my travel instructor apparently did this once. I do not envy him for it. Just his hearing.). OTOH, smaller places are much more conveniently located (I'm slightly more willing to carry a few lemons, a gallon of chicken stock, some mint leaves, and a six-pack of V8 for 3/4mi).) More importantly... if you don't want to make your own lunch, there are quite a few choices. ... most of them are fast food, but not all...

I'm going to go look up my previous notes/comments. I'm not really sure what all needs saying. If you have any specific questions, a sk and I'll see what I can do.