Re: i'm really scared, damn scared.

Well as people have said, ios 10 update shouldn't cause anything to be lost.
Is your Ipad set to backup from the cloud anyway?
If you've enabled data backup on Icloud then even if something were to happen your stuff would theoretically be okay.

This is what I've done with my Iphone, though mostly what is on there are games, phone contacts and aps since I don't use it for music etc.
I admit I would prefer to have control over the backups and backup directly onto an external drive, but almighty apple won't let me do that, even with the dreaded itunes so I'll just use the cloud for now.