Re: water to the thursty, recommend some ebooks, please.

Glad you liked The Passage Grryf. The ending is quite a stinger, but you will see more of that in The Twelve, however now imagine me having to wait two years before reading the twelve and then another three before city of mirrors big_smile.

Cronin will I think though be joining william Horwood and tolkien on my frequent rereads list.

David Brin is fun. I will say his stuff is a little different in style since he gives you a lot of character viewpoints, especially those from neo dolphins or neo chimps who don't really think the same way humans do, and his uplift universe has some of the best ideas for truly alien aliens I've ever seen. If you were going to try Brin I'd suggest reading The uplift war first, since even though star tide rising was published first the books pretty much happen simultaniously on two different planets, and are referenced in each ot her (it's a very big galaxy with lots of nasty aliens, and even though  there are many more advanced clans than humanity startrek this is not, and every alien clan has their own way of doing things, some of which are dam nasty, albeit the books are not super dark and are actually rather fun, even if you do have a lot of different ideas to keep track of.

As to Sanderson I fully agree on being careful about the hypek, however also bare in mind that occasionally something gets all the praise and the hype and actually is! something good (look at Harry Potter). The majority of Sanderson's books, the reckoners trilogy, rythmetist and warbreaker are pretty good and very readable, though stronger in characters, plot, world  building, magic and action than in pure writing style, and Sanderson has had a couple of less good moments, eg, Elantris.

Mistborn that I'm rereading now is definitely at the higher end, though if you want the truly! exceptional stu ff by sanderson check out way of kings and Words of radience (hopefully the third book will come out soon).

the only major problem I have with Sanderson in Mistborn, and indeed in many of his other series is that the books have huge and detailed  fantasy worlds, then spend their entire time stuck in just one place, indeed Mistborn pretty much the two first books are set in the same city, albeit with a major siege and battle in the second book.
Call me old fashioned but there is something for the journey story and seeing diverse locations, then again according to a friend of mine apparently mistborn does improve on this in the second trilogy.

The Anubis gates is just a rollocking fun adventure story, but the time travel used in it is! rather clever, then again as a Dr. Who fan I'm used to good time travel stories, speaking of which i really! wish we'd see the black prince soon, though whether it's going to come out I don't know, I also wis h Darker projects would carry on with their audio adaptation since that was pretty awesome.

I'm not really the sort for military fiction, it just never got my interest, plus in a lot of wars like the second world war I'm a little too aware of the real history and how many people died to want to go and read "smash the evil nazis" type of stories.

that being said, one of my lady's favourite books that I read and remember very much enjoying when i was a teenager is Hms Ulyses by Alistair Mcclaine. Mcclain wrote a lot of spy, crime  and military fiction back in the fifties, and much of it is a bit dated, and indeed often a little too blatantly super powered for my taste. But some of his books really rocked, and ulyses was one, particularly since in that one he actually did write about realistic characters, stuck on a British war ship protecting a convoy up in the north sea near the arctic circle, where the temperature gets so cold it can litera lly freeze people's skin off.
It also has probably the most amazing captain ever! in fiction before Picard, indeed it wouldn't surprise me if picard was partly based on Captain Vallery from ulyses.

I really enjoyed that one when I was a teenager, and actually have it on my victor now and intend to reread it since it's one of my lady's favourite books.