I actually see a lot of people liking leafox more but for me the water starter is much, much better... Leafox just seems too frail, perhaps because it's the only one having two types so it also takes neutral damage from stuff like water, instead of reduced damage. And yeah, water starter gets aqua zap, and since it has tons of health it's fun. Wonder how the effect points for that one are calculated anyway, based on the actual health points or on percentage... If it's the actual health number, then training up health more would be useful I imagine.
I suppose leafox becomes a beast when it gets earthquake... But then again, leonratar gets that too, and the water starter hits hard enough without having it.