Re: water to the thursty, recommend some ebooks, please.

@Mirage yeah, I love these sorts of threads too, one reason i got into writing reviews, I've already done one for the uplift war, and will write one for star tide rising when my lady and i have finished it.
What is particularly cool about Star tide rising is that after reading about a spaceship crewed by nio dolphins, I spent last night on wikipedia reading up on actual dolphins and whales just to get some background big_smile.
I have stroked a dolphin before which was fairly amazing, but Brin really does his homework with his other species, even while making them very real characters which is why i wanted more info. I'll give Star tide rising lots of credit for doing things with Dolphins I'd never even considered, ---- eg, ever imagined a dolphin thug? or a dolphin scientist?
It also has one neochimp character who is absolutely hilarious, though I' ll say more when I write the review.

The passage is awesome, though I think the twelve might actually be even better, it's certainly darker, and yes it is possible to have a book that is darker than the book in which most of the world's population get killed off big_smile.
i love the way Cronin deals with characters so that even his bad guys come off as very human, indeed that's one thing which rocked about city of mirrors, you get Fanning's full life story and understand why he is the way he is.
this doesn't make him any nicer, but it does make him more than just a stock villain who wants to destroy the world because he is eeeeeeevil!

It's odd, I've read several kids books as an adult, indeed I've occasionally enjoyed series that weren't around when I was a kid (I definitely appreciated the how to train your dragon bo oks, and not just because they are read by David Tenant). But Redwall is just a bit too  nicy nicy for me I think.
I've read several of them, five or six, but compared to Jarvis or indeed someone like Roald dahl they just read as far too symplistic in characters.
Yes, they're charming and sweet and have fun moments, but I tend to find that can't carry for the length of one entire book, then again I confess my tolerance for "charming" has rather increased since I got married big_smile.

At the moment I'm still finishing up the second mistborn book, Well of assention. one thing I do notice about Sanderson which is a miner negative, is that he really doesn't know how to write characters with low self isteme. he tries it with Vin in mistborn, but more often than not she just comes across as irrational, or as if she has random voices in the head rather than having a serious problem, likewise like a lot of writers he really can't do ptsd or traumatic childhoods much as he tries very hard with vin. Indeed I get the strong impression Sanderson himself is a very confident and outgoing sort of guy, so he has trouble with characters who oppose that personality, one reason why most of his main characters tend to be pretty outgoing types and even when quiet, like Cereen in Way of kings they have a habbit of mouthing off.

it's not a problem, and the books are very readable, but this is one thing I think that makes the second mistborn book a little less captivating than the first, since the first went at such a pace Vin's character conflict wasn't quite as noticeable, while the hole "am I worthy to marry him, he is such a good man" thing in the second is a little too much, or at least it doesn't have a flavour of reality.

Still as I recall hero of ages, the third book was an e xtended climax and sanderson does very much know how to keep tention going even if he has trouble with traumatized characters, so the series is good, though perhaps not exceptionally awesome the way stormlight is.