Re: water to the thursty, recommend some ebooks, please.

Ahoy all

I just finished reading the 12, and I don't think I could holdback enough to wait on reading the third in the series
at dark, in some ways I suppose I have been fortunate to have come so late to reading this series I'm think, as after the passage's ending the wait of 2 years would have been a long one,indeed!
big_smile
Although I liked the passage far more than I liked the 12, the authors writing style remains just as good as in the first book, however its the plot/ the story in which the book suffers
In the passage things had a way of coming out of the blue and surprising you, that sort of fear, entisipation, worry and so on for the characters. I don't think I felt much of that or not to the extent as I did in the passage
The story read a bit like a fanfiction sometimes, while things might appear to be dire, you know everyth ing would be write in the end and all happy and so on.
I liked the unpredictability of the first book, I suppose I want to say.
Still a good read,not bad at all but I was expecting it to be better after the build up of the first.
I totally agree about cronin's ability to create fairly 2d characters where in even his bad guys aren't all baddy baddy, you can actually feel they are actual beings, with the good and the bad, that is to say complex and not symple.

I should defenetly pick up brin in that case, and funnyly enough I was also thinking I'd give the uplift war a go first, since it sounded more the type of thing I'd like

I have read a bit of alestor macline before and I'd agree they are a tad bit outdated, fare enough since they were written a while ago, but for all of that he is a fun read.
I'm not so sure on whether or not I have read the HMS Ulysses before, even though I have the book  already and if I h aven't it should be quite a surprise as the name itself denotes a ship or something to do with ships, did I say I love ships and the sea? big_smile, so it should have been the first thing I read after reading its name. although I can't really remember anything,so I need to look it up.

Its not that I dislike the Redwall books, but I guess my opinion is quite similar to dark in that the characters are far too simplistic sometimes, and to me the books just got a bit flat after a while but I guess that's to do with reading one book after the other without break

I do this in an entirely opposit manner
I've always liked history and animals, and I'm the kind of guy that tends to randomly read about things, and if that thing interests me I go and see if a book can be found on them. that's indeed how I stumbled onto the stephen pressfields alex ander books, the genghis khan series by Conn Iggulden the rome series by stephen salor and indeed the masters of rome by Colleen McCullough
I also loved the Animorfs series by KA applegate anyone want to take a guess as to why? lol
Ripple by Tui Allen is again another that sounds just like my cup of tea! or should I say coffee...

AT dark fare enough on  Sanderson and I will give him  a shot, in text this time since that's how I actually am able to enjoy books and anything that requires reading.
Ironically enough, I often tend to do the same as you do when reading with sinths with audiobooks, although I don't think I can stand any other sinth reading my books for me the ones I'm ment to enjoy anyway besides eloquence.

I almost forgot!, I gave the warlord book 1 another go and indeed it was just me back then ,because the book doesn't reall y contain that many fantasy elements, its the usual great bernard cornwell at work

I'm off to see whether I can resist the city of mirrors enough to read any other book and if yes,then which out of these many good recommendations. smile
grryf