Re: water to the thursty, recommend some ebooks, please.

@Phyl, sounds like an interesting series, though there is a lot of Ya stuff about kids with special powers around now, still if they're well written.
@Grryf, funny about the Twelve. I actually remember the twelve surprising me rather more than the passage particularly in the way that a lot of people you thought dead weren't, and I loved the nasty society and weerd ideas around it. The only thing I thought was a little off and slightly fanfic like was the fact that you happened to run into Wallghasts' wife and yet more links to fanning even after 90 years of the world going to pot, though what was done with her was extremely unique with her being both round the bend and yet at the same time having power against the virals.
I wasn't as keen on the sacrifice of amy plotline but fortunately that one didn't go as far.

City of mirrors is fantastic, though you can read my review over on fantasybookreview.co.uk so I won't repeat my thoughts here, suffice it to say Cronin's 2D characters are very much there in force, indeed you won't even be able to predict what happens to some of the people you already know or where they end up.

Brin is good, though not quite in the same way as The Passage, his stuff is a little closer to the format of the falcon banner with many characters you follow, though his universe and themes are entirely different, lots of politics and ideas to wrap your head around, especially in the chim characters and how they think. Again, I did share my thoughts in the Uplift war review, though as I said in that review don't expect a major war story with lots of death and violence, for all there is enough to gather what's going on, indeed Star tide rising is actually a good bit darker than the uplift war despite just being about one ship's crew rather than a hole planet.

Hms Ulysses is very much a sea story, indeed unlike most of his other works it's a very stre ight up account of a second world war 2 British destroyer and the problems they have in the arctic sea, so yes, if you like ships definitely read that one, indeed I'm probably going to reread it myself soon enough.
the Masters of Rome series really does sound good. My lady actually recommended them to me on the basis that if I enjoyed something like Songs of ice and fire with all the politics and dark and nasty stuff I'd probably go for those, and I do find the idea fascinating.

If you love animals I can highly recommend William horwood's duncton books though i've probably recommended them before as they're some of my favourite books of all time, particularly the first three, duncton wood, quest and found.

Glad you liked the warlord books, they're imho some of Cornwell's best and a really unique take on Arthur. One thing i find interesting is while there are no blatantly fantasy elements like dragons or magic swords or raising th e dead, the way that the celtic religion is described, it's rituals and some of the effects they have do verge on the magical, something which Cornwell himself doesn't confirm, then again you'll see what I mean when you get more into the series.

With Sanderson I confess that well of assention is sort of annoying me at the moment. not as tightly plotted as final empire and things are just rather draggy, particularly dealing with the various emotional conflicts with characters that Sanderson doesn't really handle well, indeed quite often the plot seems to stall for a large part of the book and then get resoved in a very quick and well described but ultimately fairly brief action sequence, and part of me is thinking "why all the wandering around! why didn't you do that earlier!"
Still a couple of things are going on in the book that are interesting and it's definitely leading somewhere, indeed I get te strong impression Sanderson did n't quite have enough plot for the trilogy, so I'll see where it goes though i am not sure if I'd recommend it over all, while the first volume of mistborn, Final empire was good, well of ascention is merely okay, were I to score them i'd probably give final empire 8-10 and well of assention 6, though admitedly I've still got about five hours to go in the book so that might change if it has a big climax.

As to reading, as I said it's humans for me all the way. While I have got to the point of playing the cog games and other gamebooks with sinths I wouldn't want that for an actual novel. Also i confess I really! don't like eloquence, but that is probably because the eloquence Uk English accent is really not great and of course i find it easier to read and write with a sinth that has the same accent I do, hence why i use either orphius human voice Alan, Realspeak daniel, or more lately the male Siri voice on my Iphone (for some reason dan iel has sounded rather harsh for the last few Ios iterations and as I have an Iphone 5 I can't use alex, ---- besides Alex is american anyway).