Regarding Accessibility in New Products

OK, I have seen this all over the place and I just have to say something about it because it doesn't make any sense to me. Blind people get their hopes up over and over and over again and get thinking that all new products will be accessible. This is folly on their part, because they get into this state where everything is a disappointment when it turns out not to be accessible. What I'd do is start out thinking that its not going to be accessible and what to do in that case. I also don't right nasty letters to them, o emails whatever you want to call it these days. I write out a well constructed email with points, being polite the whole time, discussing why it would be adventageous if they would put in some effort to getting a product accessible. I set out basically to say that I know its not an overnight fix, and I know that in some cases, it is not practical, like with games that have been written from the ground up to be graphical.

The fact is, people, tha t we, the blind community are a minority, and that the rest of the world is going happily about their lives, doing their own thing, they have a vision on how to do things. There are those, of course, that have been monumental in providing accessible products, and support and training for said products.

Laws are changing, and now companies are slowly but surely needing to consider accessible interfaces, GUI, screen reader / braille support. The fact is, that they may not even consider us. It's not as though they don't care at all, they are just so much the majority that it doesn't cross their mind.

So just remember that the next time you get your hopes up over something, I'm not criticizing anyone individually or singling anyone out, just suggesting a better route for all. And, remember that when you email a developer they don't really know most of the time what's going on, so the more polite, and impressionable you are, the better received y ou will be, and the more results you can hope to see, if you see positive communications from them.