Re: Regarding Accessibility in New Products

The general problem seems to be that while those who make or design items and programs, the engineers and programmers etc tend to be very nice creative people who want to make whatever they create accessible to as many people as possible, the actual company staff themselves, the executives and share holders won't do anything unless it increases their amount of prophet and since as a baseline there isn't much prophet in accessibility have little interest in such.
this means unless you can actually talk to the people who do the making and just get fobbed off with the publicity adviser or their manager, you will be on a none starter no matter how reasonable you happen to be. Really, the size of the company is extremely proportional to how much of an arse they are and how much they actually will do in terms of accessibility, or such has always bene my experience.

This is one reason i don't really myself hold out much hope for the likes of Sony or Capcom to start producing accessible games, but do see a lot of milage with independent developers.

the problem is there are several opposing forces at work here.
first is the problem that Ironcross is correct, most things are just not designed! to be accessible simply by virtue of the fact that most of the world isn't visually impared, this can be put down to an oversite.
then however is the much nastier and more devisive problem of  generation of prophet, indeed it has happened in the past that developers have told me they'd love to add access features but can't justify them in terms of making actual prophet from their games.

Finally however there is something at the back of this, which is that to be brutally and obviously honest yes things should! be designed with blind people in mind, or at least when requested to make design alterations people shouldn't be complaining.
You wouldn't say to a paraplegic "Oh I'm sorry th e world is designed for people with legs, so just crawl up that flight of steps on your hands since it's too difficult to put in a ramp for your wheel chair and doesn't make me enough prophet"

In a perfect world there would be a cast iron law that you could put into play and have any access proposal reviewed by an expert, and after said review the company would be forced! to implement said proposal, the way it is now illegal not to have wheel chair access to a public building.

Of course, we're not living in that perfect world, and blind people don't have much power, so we need to practice the arts of persuasion and compromise, albeit remembering that what we're striving for in the end is! that full level of access which everyone else gets by virtue of having eyeballs, not some sort of half arsed effort.

so, yes, if there is a game that could be playable if the images were labeled certainly contact the company and ask politely if the fix could be made and explain how. However, equally if the company then respond with "well you can push the buttons at random or get someone sighted to help, don't tell them "oh okay then" tell them politely that they are not being reasonable.

I do agree that not all lack of access is malicious, however there is still a lot of greed and just plane prejudice out there, though equally if you can talk to the actual designers as opposed to the bean counters it's amazing how much you can! get done.