Re: water to the thursty, recommend some ebooks, please.

Glad your liking city of mirrors.
I don't remember things being too different in the twelve, but then again it's been a while since I read it, I certainly don't recall  Lish being such a different person in The Twelve, then again what she goes through there is so very extreme it's not surprising it changes her a bit. The Webmaster of fantasybookreview.co.uk actually asked me to review the twelve but it's rather too long since I read it so it'll probably have to wait until I read it again, which I will.

In general I'll say romance in books doesn't bother me in and of itself if the characters are good and it is clear why they like each other and what they both get out of being together, ie, so long as it's more character than cliche.
On that basis I'd suggest giving Duncton another go. Duncton wood was Horwood's first novel and is a little way rough about the edges, but a romance it isn't, even thoug h the romance between Bracken and Rebecca is central to the plot, and certainly by Duncton Quest romance is not on the cards.

Btw, my laydy didn't like the duncton series, especially Quest and found because she said they were too dark, and too full of characters you like having intensively bad stuff happen to them :d.

then again speaking of romance last night my lady and I were actually comparing our own experiences to romantic cliches which was a little scary given that we really did have a lot of the standard moments, then again people who've met us say we act as if we're living in a disney :d.

I think you'll like Ulysses, it's an awesome storyk, my lady is quite fond of it, and what I recall of reading it as a teenager was pretty good, of all people my gran actually recommended it to me and even got me a copy on audiotape from the library, then again while not a reader of fantasy, sf or speculative stuff she was an avid reader of all sorts of other types of fiction.

Cornwell's warlord series are probably my favourite by him, though I have read and do remember very much enjoying the bfirst of his starbuck series about the american civil war, I also enjoyed Gallows thief, a stand alone story about a captain in Georgian England who's asked to clear someone of a murder charge, lots of really interesting stuff about the 19th century british attitude to crime and punbishment and how the penal system works (btw, if you've any allusions on hanging being a kind way to go don't read this book).

it's odd, I got interested in Cornwell because he wrote the sharpe series which i've enjoyed several of, such as sharpe's siege, Sharpe's tiger  and sharpe's regiment, however several others rather got on my whick particularly when Cornwell started putting Sharpe in crazy circumstances to get him at things like the battle of Trafalgar, the battle of Denmark and the chill ian revolution.

while I've enjoyed several, imho Cornwell is better away from his most famous character, or at least I find the sharpe novels less good as they go on in publication order.

I have had a fansy to read the Saxon books since it's a rather distant and alien period of history like the Warlord ones rather than a comparatively more familiar time, and i am interested in how the stories go, so I might give the saxon stories a try albeit right now I've got so many other things to read it's unbelievable.

I've nearly finished well of assention and while it is picking up towards the end I didn't rate it as much as the first book. I'll probably have a quick break before going on to hero of ages though and read something else, maybe a short story collection.