Re: If The Gov Cared About Disabled People

the Major thing I'd like to see is a governmental arbitration body similar to Acas, which for those not in the uk is the arbitration and conciliation service.

Essentially they handle industrial desputes between employer and employee, and have enough legal power to A, get the employer and employee talking and B, force any necessary changes agreed on in the arbitration, meaning that both parties have some degree of power and it's not all one person's way.

At the moment one of the major social problems in terms of disability is that any disabled person is instantly judged by those with no information about disability to be incompitant. You go for an interview, the employer hasn't seen any blind people before but automatically assumes blind people can't do the job so gives you some excuse.
Anti discrimination laws just mean the employer can't say "well I'm not giving you this job because your blind" even if that is actual ly the reason.

the problem is that essentially you have people with no knolidge of disabled people believing they can make judgements about disabled people.
therefore, we need an independent body with expertees in disability and idsability relations to essentially arbitrate matters, so that when a blind person applied for a job, they could say "hold on here is the arbitration committee, who will discuss things like screen reading software and how a blind person gets around without a car etc" and in turn will discuss with the blind person things like if the employer is worried about their filing system not being something a blind person could do.

it's essentially an attempt to get people communicating rather than just the "oh weerd blind person must avoid" which is the most common social attitude and what provides the majority of problems.
so, some sort of recourse to arbitration with power to inact changes, plus a good bit more educa tion of the generalized public thathay, the blind person over in the corner is not making eye contact with you not because they're unfriendly, but because they can't so you bloody well ought to go and treat them like a human being rather than just ignoring them.

this is my serious suggestion and the one Im writing into my research.

My slightly more impish suggestion which i sometimes feel is superior, is that the government ought to allot every disabled person five freely sanctioned governmentally approved murders!
That is, you ring a hotline and say "I'd like so and so to be killled" and bam! they are.
Just five in your hole life.
the problem however is that Jo public wouldn't know at any given time how many murders any disabled person had used up or whether or not they'd be willing to do so, so Jo Public would have to be a bit more reasonable.

that would sort out the power disparity between disabled and none disabled people methinks big_smile.

Admitedly this is just an idle fantasy and probably wouldn't work in reality, still I do find it an amusing thought.