Re: Regarding Accessibility in New Products

the problem simber is that however reasonable we can be with people who do! make accommodations, saying "we aren't the world and just a minority" just won't do.

In the 1960's, black people weren't allowed on busses in America. Would you suggest they said "well we aren't the world and just a minority so never mind?" Would you suggest a paraplegic said that if they were unable to get into a public building due to a flight of steps?

While some people definitely take it too far, it is trivially, or at least theoretically true that denial of access requests is effectively discrimination. In a perfect world there would be a recourse regarding that discrimination such as the law I mentioned surrounding public buildings and ramps for wheel chairs.
Since we don't live in that perfect world we need to negotiate and be reasonable, and a major part of negotiation also includes recognizing the difficulty of access provisions to those providing them and appreciating the trouble it might take to provide them, however don't confuse "negotiate" with "capitulate"

It's again a balancing act, but ultimately if we follow the "well we're just a minority never mind" attitude to it's ultimate conclusion we won't end up doing anything, ---- hell if I followed that attitude I'd either have to live with my parents or starve given that when I go into a shop i need to ask someone for assistance getting things for me.

Indeed that is a perfect example.
In a perfect world all products would be brailled or otherwise accessible (say with a hand held barcode scanner that spoke). We don't live in that world however so must ask a shop assistant to assist in getting shopping. This is again, absolutely reasonable, after all we are legitimate customers and as I said just saying "Well we can't read the products so never mind" won� 39;t do.

Such a thing is however, still outside what the shop assistant usually does and thus our request, even though we are making an access request, needs to be done with consideration for said assistant and the work they'll do collecting and reading items in the shop.

making it a demand or an expectation, or treating the assistant just as a means to an end is not only severely unpleasant and bad for disability relations generally, but also just plane rude!

Indeed not treating others! as just means to an end is a major part of living compitantly with a disability.