Re: Digital recorders: Any recommendations?

Hi Locutus,
Glad to have helped. Now that you mention the H4N, I wish I would've taken it more seriously. I don't know what it sounds like but I imagine it sounds much like the XY-H6 capsule I purchased for the H5.
The H5's default mics are not bad. They could record quiet sounds well, and work just fine as a general purpose solution. But the impression I got from Zoom is that they're meant for louder sounds, as they supposedly can tolerate much higher SPLs. If you want a more delicate sound in addition to a wider image, and you don't want or can't afford to spend money on additional capsules to experiment with, I do think you are making a wise choice with the H4N.
I know very little about the sound of the external inputs on these recorders, though I imagine they will be adequate for your needs. In general I find many of Zoom's newer recorders especially to be very reasonable in performing their expected tasks.
Also I forgot t o mention Neal Ewers has reviews of almost all the Zoom recorders up to the H6, and the Olympus ones up to the Ls-100, though I believe his H4N review was made back when the recorder was first released, and not made with an updated model. He is blind so he describes the recorders and their functions from an accessibility point of view to the blind audiophile. He doesn't always cover everything, but at least you can get somewhat of an idea of the sound and capability of the units. You can find his reviews at http://ravenswood.org/AllThingsNeal/