Re: OT: Labeling Millions of People

[[wow]]!
First, let me say a big Thank You, to all of you for not slamming me.
Family and friends on FB have called me such colorful things as racist, homophobe, xenophobe, uneducated, etc., etc., so it's very nice to come to a place where there are thoughtful responses and intelligent commentary.

@Nocturnis
Thank you. I had the same thought about Obama in 2008 and 2012, in that I hoped I was wrong about him and that he would be a great President.

@Mayana
To shed some more light on why it is that we don't have more candidates to choose from:
We actually do. About sixteen months prior to an election, all the would-be candidates for each party begin to campaign with their platforms. Maybe four months after that, there are televised political debates. Then, six months later, we have primaries. These miniature elections happen in each state, and you have the opportunity to vote for whichever candidate you like best from your chosen party. In that way, the choice eventually comes down to the top two candidates, one from each of the big parties. After all the primaries are finished, each party has its big convention, usually in late summer before the election. It is there that they officially nominate the top votegetter from those primaries. It's worth noting that they are not required to nominate the person who gets the most votes. If the party wanted to, it could choose someone else, but I don't think that's ever happened. It would create quite a public stir if it did. Originally, for the Republican party, we had twelve or fifteen possible candidates, and from all of them, Trump was chosen. I can't remember how many Democratic candidates there were, but I think it was three or four.
I hope that clarifies a little more about the political process.
But I'm not great at explaining things, so please ask questions if I have confused you.

@everyone else
I agree with you 1000% that our political election system is flawed, and controlled by ridiculous amounts of money. I also agree that it's controlled too much by the media. I often wonder if things might be different, if we could only listen to campaigns on the radio, taking away the theatrics of television.

Somebody mentioned how people vote against a candidate, not for their favorite, and that is so true! I have asked, practically begged, anybody to tell me why they like Hillary, and how they believe she will make America better than it is right now. Nobody will ever say. They just tell me how they hate Trump.
In any discussions I've had, I always tried my best to say what I wanted from Trump's leadership, or why I liked him. I left my thoughts about Hillary out of it, because I didn't see how that would lead to meaningful conversation. Unfortunately, more often than not, my conversation partners wouldn't do the same.

So again, thank you all for treating me with respect.