Re: Becoming fed up with Linux

I'm kind of in the same boat as Arqmeister, I started off my computing life with the Apple 2 series, then in 1985 sold off all of my Apple 2 stuff and dove head long into the IBM PC compatible world, and have never looked back or anywhere else.

------

The first thing I heard about Windows 10 were all the privacy concerns, but then I found out that they all had options allowing you to opt out of them, so that concern was dealt with.

Then I started hearing about included apps that had to be replaced because the native ones weren't accessible. The first was the email client, that's not a problem since I'm using Thunderbird, and except for a couple of problems with no apparent solution, I'm satisfied with it. The problems don't prevent me from using it, they are just annoying. There were some other apps that had to be replaced for accessibility reasons, but I can't recall what they were now.

Then I heard that Windows Update wa s removed from the control panel so it's no longer possible to review and approve of updates before they are installed, you are forced to accept all updates offered. This is a serious issue in my eyes, what if you discover an update that screws up your computer? Sure you can use System Restore to back track it out of your system, but you can't prevent it from being installed again.

I have that problem now with Internet Explorer, the last cumulative update for it changes the way it handles .URL files. .URL files are the files Internet Explorer creates when you bookmark a web page. Instead of just opening them as it's supposed to do, after the update is installed, Internet Explorer now issues a security warning and asks if you want to open or download the file! Even stranger, this only happens if opening the .URL file also launches Internet Explorer, such as choosing a favorite from the Start menu. But if you choose a favorite from within Internet Explorer through its favorites menu, they open normally. I've found what some called solutions to the problem on the Internet, but they always turn out to be partial solutions, or only work once. In Windows 7 I was able to back out of the update, then in Windows Update, hide the update to prevent it from being installed in the future. With Windows Update gone from the control panel in Windows 10, this wouldn't be possible, you'd be stuck with the faulty update until Microsoft fixes it, assuming they do fix it.

And I have no doubt there are other unpleasant surprises waiting. No thank you! I'll just keep using Windows 7.