Re: programming games in C++

You can never go wrong with GCC and GNU Make, or CMake. Easier to use these build environments than bulky IDEs in my opinion. I just use Cygwin, which offers a lot of Unix-based tools for Windows. Personally, C/C++ is not a particularly friendly language for beginning programmers because you do have to deal with manual memory management. However, C/C++ are probably the most flexible programming languages you can find in terms of getting as close to low-level coding as possible. BTW, contrary to some people's beliefs, C/C++ are still high-level compiled languages. Low-level coding is left up to those brave enough to learn assembly languages or raw machine code. A library I recommend you use for game development in particular is SDL (Simple Media Direct Layer or something). It offers companion libraries that will handle streaming of MP3, OGG, WAV (raw), and a few other formats. I'm using these libraries to build an audiogame of my own that is coming along quite nicely. I&# 039;ve written a working menu system, map systems, panning functions, etc. Hope you're able to make progress in your endeavor.