Re: Recommending Materia Magica again

Ah, good to know.

What is the game like now? Is there more than just hack n slash?  do you get to do anything in the random wilderness? I do remember liking the look of the game but when i played it was just irritating with the level limits on marks. it took me three goes through lasler to get what was there, then when i finished lasler I wondered around in the forest and then suddenly "woopse! you've leveled yourself past! doing these marks, sorry!"

I then went to the city and tried random quests, but given they all had ridiculously short time limits I'd get a quest and then run around like a headless chicken trying to find one location on an absolutely gigantic map, and usually fail. So all in all the game was an exercise in major frustration, since the choice seemed to be either sitting there with a guide constantly open to try and get the marks (which really kills exploration), or missing most of everything, indeed for all the vaunted act ivities the game seem to devolve to a simple hack n slash kill fest since doing anything other! than the hack n slash kill festing was so difficult.

Admitedly, this was a good four or five years ago and I know considerable work has gone into the game since then, and the developers did modify things with quest timers etc, still with games like frandum and some of the good muds we have now I'd like to be sure I know what I'm getting before starting another really major mud.
I also confess it's likely that Materiamagica sticks a little in my craw since it was the first mud I ever played. I got really enthusiastic, really! wanted to get deep into the game, loved the website mentions of the underground ocean and ships and such, even really enjoyed death, started up Vipmud and got used to muds, loved the elemental effects and atmosphere, and then woopse! found there really wasn't much that I could actually discover or do for myself without scuppering my ow n game.