facebook is now a public entedy?

Hi. Is the following statement true? I keep seeing it on my friend's posts.

NOTE: Facebook is now a public entity. All members must post a note like this. If you do not publish a statement at least once, it will be tacitly understood that you are allowing the use of your photos, as well as the information contained in your profile status updates. I HEREBY STATE THAT I DO NOT GIVE MY PERMISSION.
If you prefer, you can copy and paste.
I've seen this over the last little while and was wondering if it is true, though I think it's just a scam.