Re: Blackspace (3D HRTF First person shooter game)

Hi guys, thanks for all your feedback.

I will try my best to respond to all the comments made so far. First of all to those of you who are claiming that the sounds are somewhat jerky, don't seem to be any softer according to distance, or that the HRTF is not immediately obvious, is it possible that some of you may have skipped the installation of the OpenAL attributable if you already had OpenAL installed. It's important that you do install it, because if your previous installation is too long out of date HRTF will not work. Of course I assume most of you did not skip this step and have legitimate complaints.

I will admit that perhaps the turning is a little jerky and maybe that is something I will work on for the next update. A major issue that many of you have commented on is that sounds can be heard through walls, and are not muffled or attenuated accordingly. I admit that this is probably the most significant flaw in the game for me at the moment, I will see if I can do something to rectify this for the next update.

Yes, pretty much all the sounds are from Quake.

As for the jar and the exe file both being packaged together in the download, no it is not necessarily needed. I added the jar file as well because it is possible to make your own maps and place them inside the jar in place of the original maps using 7-zip or any other similar program. I figured I would package both in the download so that people could play around with making their own maps with the jar, without fear of losing any of the original game content or breaking the game. Also it's not possible to open the exe and alter the files within as far as I know, so the jar is necessary for those who are interested in designing their own levels. Instructions on how to design maps are inside the info folder.

The range for the shotgun is equal to the range of your hearing, so if you find you are unable to hit something it could men one of several thin gs. It may be because the target is in fact behind a wall or door, you're orientation is too far off to land a successful hit, or there may be some internal issue with the game that I am not aware of.

I hope some of you are enjoying the game, despite some of the issues that have been pointed out. I appreciate all your feedback and I hope to hear more from you guys. If anyone is interested in viewing the source code for the game I will be happy to upload it to github for you guys to check out.

Thanks everybody! big_smile

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Figment via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : yukionozawa via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Lirin via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : keyIsFull via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : keyIsFull via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : stewie via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Haramir via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : yukionozawa via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Muhammad Hajjar via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Sean-Terry01 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : CosmicNeanderthal via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : CosmicNeanderthal via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : CosmicNeanderthal via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : yukionozawa via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : CosmicNeanderthal via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Lirin via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Haramir via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : kratos via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Figment via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : mojsior via Audiogames-reflector