Re: proper Formatting/ presenting documents in ms word and other word proc

Hello,
There we go.
I personally focus more on indentation, underlining, bolding or italicising as well as writing style (note here: I'm not talking about formal or informal writing, but about the   visual differences among various types of writing.)
The most popular writing style is Times New Roman, which is used widely in essays, article reflections or analyses, as well as lectures or even books, but books or novels may use a different writing style, such as book antiqua or any other that is not much popular. The size of text in essays, writing assignments or other types of similar writings is 12, and you can find it on font section (ctrl+D), where you will be able to change the writing style, the text size and more.
Indentation is the act of leaving, or creating a number of spaces in the beginning of a line. The indentation is used mainly to mark the beginning of a new paragraph or it could also be used when writing the title of an essay or lecture. If you have ever encountered a braille text, it is exactly three spaces in the measure of braille but three is also in the ordinary text. Just for your information, three spaces make up 0.5 inches and six equal to one inch. Hint: when writing the title of an asignment you could leave a one inch space, but for paragraphs it is always 0.5. One thing I really advise you to remember, when you indent, number, add consequtive letters or bullits, it will be applied to all the next lines you will create. In order to apply one of the features I mentioned above only to one line or paragraph you want, you must press backspace on the next line you create to delete the feature you have applied on the previous line.
To create a numbered, lettered or bullited list, you must press a number followed by a full stop(period or dot) and space, or a number and tab. The same goes for letters; To create a bullited list, you must press * followed by tab. As I said before, if you start a new li ne with indentation, numbering or other features, they will be applied to all the next lines you create. This is specially useful when you want to create a list which makes up a number of steps, typically in processes related to "how to do something in technology". Numbered or lettered lists are mostly used in informal writing or daily language, and not in essays or formal documents. In formal documents or formal and semi-formal assignments, you iniciate arguments, ideas, processes, or steps by ordinal numbers, as in "firstly, secondly, thirdly and so on."
One mistake many people make but I advise you all to not do, is leaving a blank line when starting a new paragraph. A blank line is left between the title and the paragraph related to its title, but not to the following paragraphs. It is not also left when jumping from an introductory to a body paragraph. To sum this all up, blank lines are used to show that two ideas, sentences, paragraphs or other bigger unmarked units of this nature do not have a connection with each other.

Underlining, bolding, and italicising.
These features are used to highlight words (special terms or new words) or sentences (definitions and special structures) that you want to emphasise or draw the attention of your reader. I do not know in particular what are the differences between these three terms I am talking about, but I know that underlining is used to focus a term or sentence you are required to, and italicising or bolding are used to highlight special terms that will be discussed or should be carefully taken care of in terms of remembering or understanding. To underline, italicise or bold a word or sentence, you should select the unit you want, then apply one of the above effects. Remember that when you apply one of those effect, you must turn it off when you are done, because applying one of them is kind of tricky because you might think that the effect has been also added to the text tha t you didn't select. This is achieved by asuring yourself that the cursor is positioned at the right place. So, if, for example, you want to highlight a word, you make sure that the cursor is positioned on that word, and then you select the word. You press ctrl+U to underline the text you selected (it will say Underline on). When you are done, you move your cursor by one character, and after that press ctrl+U again to turn underlining off. If you keep underline on, it's not that it will underline each line you read, but it makes sure that you won't accidentally underline anything.
About spacing I do not really know, while about the outline level I use always body text. For what I do at my university it is quite acceptable. As about the style I use always normal because I mostly have to do with writing articles, homeworks and essays. Other outline levels or styles are used in more complicated writings. However, in accordance with the content you type on Microsoft Word, it will automatically define all these features I mentioned now.
One last thing I nearly forgot to say is about paragraph formatting. There are three options you will run into commonly, they have to do with the position of the text on the screen or paper. Justify, aline left, and aline right. Justifying is the option which is mostly used on writings we hand everyday. It places the text on the centre of the screen so that it looks more complete, connected, and organised.

I am very sorry for the vastly long post I wrote. I hope you didn't get exhausted. If I, who wrote it didn't, so why would you? smile
Cheers!