Re: Was I really THAT guy?

Cynical?  That's me.  :d
I'm all for everyone having their own way of using words; it happens a lot on the net and that is, more than likely, a lot of the reason we have communication issues as Arq pointed out in post 8.  A recent example is a post in which I heard someone say they had malware on their PC and that they had tried everything to remove it.  When I hear that, I take that to mean short of nuking your PC while swearing at it and talking about how it conspires against you everything, other than wiping the drive and starting clean.  It's literal; it's direct, but it's not what the person meant.  I've tried everything more than likely as written in that post means I've tried everything I know, or I'm so frustrated I can't think of what to try next, which as far as I'm concerned, given my level of frustration means I've tried everything.
A statement like "don't feed the trolls," because of its vagueness, however, tends to become something of a catch phrase people use flippantly around others who may or may not seriously be the victims of cyberbullying and abuse or who suffer goodness only knows what kind of depression and thus take things a bit more harshly than everyone else.  Words are of great importance, and if there's anything to be gleamed from this topic, I believe this is the point.