How do I configure and install windows xp on an old laptop?

Hi, I have recently started to try get up and going an old compack laptop that came with windows vista 32 bit. I tried installing windows 7 starter but I still find it slow. I tried installing windows xp from the windows 7 pe iso it said the partitions were not configured correctly for windows xp. When I tried using n light to do an automate it said something about could not find Ula and restarted. any help would be great. What I Know the computer haves2 gigs of ram, a 2 cor AMD processor, and a 140 gig hard drive. I was trying to do all of this off of usb.