Re: A cheater in our midst

I think a better solution is for games themselves to monitor all values which would be advantageous to cheat, and if something doesn't seem quite right, take appropriate action. I won't name any names here, but there's one game that does this. However, there is one particular frequently-updated value which is *not* subject to this monitoring, and is thus freely cheatable. Also, the monitoring stops as soon as the game ends, so there are certain other values which become open to quick preset hotkey cheating for a few precious seconds.

Another approach is to encrypt or otherwise obfuscate values so they're not recognizable to cheating programs. When a user requests a value, decode the encoded value and report that. If you can't find it, you can't cheat it. Again, in one game that does this, there are certain very frequently-updated values where I guess the author didn't want to have to go to the trouble to decode, update, then reencode, so th ese values are open to cheating.