Re: new game online! Desafio Mortal

My quick thoughts on this:

What are we bashing this game for? Let me get this terminology straight:
A clone is a copy. A clone is something you make to copy something else in functionality and form. I made VFB as a pseudo-clone of Xevious. This, is not a clone. It resembles ultrapower in that they are both 2d sidescrollers in which you shoot other people. Mayb we don't have many of those in the blind community. That automatically makes it an Ultrapower clone. In my opinion, that is not how this works.

Now for the using other people's code. I tried to stay as much out of range of the whole ultrapower thing as I possibly could. It seems to me that that code is so widespread now that it's a person's responsibility to use it or not. I have little to no respect for the people who grab the code, add two items, change messages and sounds, and release it as their own game. It is not right to use stolen code. I do agree on the fact that if you have the skill to make the rest of the game, you should have the skill to make the base too. Or at least, ask for express permission. I will say one thing though: as far as I understand blink_wizard has made two clones of ultrapower. He is urging the admins to ban megadimensao for not cloning, but using the code. I am not saying Megadimensao's position is excusable, but blink_wizard's definitely is not. Desafio Mortal has way more content than Ultrapower ever had in all it's 9000000 versions and clones, or at least it does in my experience, correct me if I am wrong. I have no right to make the decision on who gets to stay and who doesn't, but if I apply logic, blink_wizard's offenses are much greater than megadimensao's. Just a thought, and in no way am I trying to justify either of them, or the opposite.

I find it kind of funny how everyone goes bananas about the fact that a game uses a "small" portion of another game illegally, and we don' t give half a crap about games that are using materials that are not only stolen, but are copyrighted. I am sorry to say this, but making basic BGT netcode for a game is just as hard, or mayb even easier, than making music for the Nintendo DS. Crazy party, which has gotten extremely popular and has received loads of good criticism, is using 100% stolen music from Pokemon, Mario Party, and other games for the DS as far as I know. I am sure you guys have played more than one and probably more than two games that are using sounds from libraries that are payd and the developers didn't give a single cent for. Names are chosen without a single Google search. UltraPower is a vacuum cleaner by Electrolux. Crime Hunter is a Japanese action film. Beeyond the Bullet is a documentary about gun violence.

We take a lot for granted, and the moment that this stealing stuff happens within our community, we act so dignified. But I think Junichi Masuda deserves at least a little bit of the respect that Mason Armstrong is getting. This is just an example, and again, I am not trying to offend anyone or put any of the parties mentioned in this message above or below some other party. I like Desafio Mortal. I do not, however, agree on the use of source code that has been "stolen", especially this particular source which has caused so many problems in the past. When you use stolen material, you always have a chance of getting caught. You could have hid it better and maybe it wouldn't have been so obvious. Maybe, you didn't even know that this code was not supposed to be on the net. But now it's a bit too late to hide.

I liked Desafio Mortal. The moment it comes back up, I will go back to it for a while. BUt in my opinion, these things have to be understood. Flame Wars are not the solution, no matter how cliche that sounds.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : staindaddict via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : caio via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Mayana via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : sito via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : staindaddict via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : caio via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Mayana via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Riad via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : luiscarlosgm via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : jericroda via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : guilevi via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : snow via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Aprone via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : luiscarlosgm via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : blindndangerous via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : sito via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : luiscarlosgm via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : wlomas via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : caio via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Jonnyboy1991 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : blindndangerous via Audiogames-reflector