Re: operation redspot. The final debriefing.

Well, since I forgot to do this in my previous post ... it's time for me to try and throw "only sam's friends become admins" out of the window. I'm first of all ceperating friends and friends. Physical friends, those you can go to by bus, train, taxi or even plain, and digital friends, those you talk to on skype teamtalk or any other conferenceing thing. Am I a physical friend of sam: i'm pritty sure not since there's a flight of oh ten hours or maybe more in between us, making it damn expensive to go for a beer. Am I a digital "friend" of Sam: not entirely sure, since we actually don't talk often. I'm pritty sure if i'd dig up my entire skype history, i'd be writing 20 messages while sam writes 4 or so... <smile> But, what then, makes people to be admins, and what does it cost a developer to entrust someone with such a title.
I'm going to take my example, since that's the easiest for me at least .
First, you have to play a game often enough to know the mechanics, to spot irregularities, and when things don't look good, find someone you can notify. Regularly playing doesn't mean open it once a month, but at least a few hours a week or so, because only that way you can get aquainted enough with the ins and outs. Then, you have to be willing to spend a good deal of your time, plotting, thinking and putting up ideas to improve things. I've done all that, but that still doesn't mean I would be an admin instantly. If I'm not mistaken, my skype call with Sam was actually the first time I hurd him, go figure... What sets admins apart from other players is their attitude, and their knowledge on their shaulders that by their actions, a game could go soure instantly, even if it's as rock solid a game as there ever was. This means, that the developer takes a immensely huge risc every time he changes a player into an admin. So, would it be too hard to understand, that Sam would want to at least sort of basically know a person a little, before he gives them the ability to stear the game in his name. Is it really hard to understand that, even with so called friends, things can go rong? I'm guessing not. What I would, above all, ask of each and everyone of you reading this poast, is to consider for one minute and a half (the half minute you can use to drink some tea or what ever you want) to think about both sides of being an admin, and promoting an admin, and compare it with giving someone the keys of your house or your room and what you'd want that person you are giving your keys to to be like etc. Things aren't always as "slap bam, promote and done" as you all might think.