Re: Google mail and security to stupid levels!

My point was more about social engineering than whether or not your password meets sensible security requirements.
My passwords have upper and lower case letters, numbers and symbols and are quite lengthy. I would consider myself unlikely to fall for a social engineering attempt, but if I did, or if I got a keylogger on my machine, then the efficacy of my password becomes purely academic.
Services have to protect themselves as well from unnecessary financial disputes caused by unauthorized access to an account.
I would also hope that these protections would provide a last line of defense if heaven forbid someone found a bug in the site which allowed the password to be bypassed in some way (like a database injection).
Given the efficacy of scams in general I say bring it on.