Re: Quests, quests, quests...

I think your definition of quests is not the same as mine. Sure, there are those games where quests need to be finished before you can proceed, you get no choice about it. But even those quests can be interesting, as long as they are done well and still give you at least some choice in how you handle things inside the quest itself. The example would be manamon, where (except for the ring quest) you have to do things mostly in one order. It still gives you freedom to choose which manamon you'll use and you can choose your strategy. Because of that, it still has replay value and is a good game.
And then there are the quests that most games have. While you'll usually be better off if you complete them, you don't need to. You can choose which to complete and which to leave. Even STW has quests, and they work like that.
No, I don't like games where you are told exactly what and how to do it, with no variations whatsoever. But I do like it when I have at le ast some things I can do, to have an impact on the world. Exploring for yourself is fun for a while, but sometimes it's nice to read the story, too.
Nice examples are choose your stories. Not everything is left up to you, you don't get to decide all of the aspects of your character, yet you are provided with enough choices so that it is still interesting. COG does allow you to choose some things about your character, but even it has limits. And personally I think that sometimes it's best to just play as someone else, in someone else's story. It might not always be how you want it to be, but it's usually more fleshed out and realistic.