Re: I feel like college is changing my friend

Hi Joseph,

We should appeal to humans for the mere fact that we are humans, and we do not know of any alternative existance that is as practically objective as the mere fact that we exist. There are two reasons why the mere fact that we exist is important - first, it means that it is the most "likely" reality, since it is confirmed from all human perspectives. Zakc's analogy with the balls would be replacing the individual experiences of many people knowing that they exist. Second, the fact that we exist allows us to continue to make decisions and changes to our lifestyles. If we perish, we can no longer make any decisions, and thus we cannot expand. Even the decision to bow to a god cannot continue if we cease to exist.

Since we can only confirm that we exist, it only makes sense that the best perspective would be to focus on it. It's important to note that this does not mean humanity is somehow arrogant, it really means that we are humble creature s struggling to survive and because we only know of our own existence it only makes sense that we should preserve it, since it's our only means of continuing to make decisions and expand. We have no way of knowing that god will be able to "save" us from self destruction, even if we follow the Bible or any other religious text, so it makes more sense to engineer around survival.

It's quite simple actually why we should prohibit certain behaviours - some behaviours are counter productive towards the development of a community's continued success. If we were to continue behaviours that were counter productive towards our community, our community will fall apart and will not be able to "succeed". This process is called selection and is similar to the idea that you "select" against ideas that don't make sense or can't explain the situation. For example you would select against the idea that it is raining if no rain is observed.

If that goal is persisted survival of the human species, which is at least in my opinion the most important goal for us (since we cannot even appeal to god if we are unable to survive), then we must make choices that preserves what allows us to survive. Currently, that survival is based on our ability to function as a community organism.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Joseph Westhouse via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Joseph Westhouse via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Joseph Westhouse via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Andy93 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Joseph Westhouse via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : AlexN94 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Joseph Westhouse via Audiogames-reflector