Re: Window-Eyes No Longer for Sale

That's exactly what I was thinking, Turtlepower. The nvda guide, as great as it is, is nothing short of a nice ebook that you read in your book reader of choice. Just fine for anyone who's comfortable with that and doesn't mind reading a manual-style guide that's not exactly a manual, but is at the same time because it's not human narrated. Guess we'd have to get someone in the community with good audio gear to narrate it for free or for a reasonable rate. Better still, sometimes there is just nothing better than an interactive tutorial. It's a kin to learning the keyboard. Why read a manual on where each key is when there are interactive programs like talking typer which, as a sidenote, thanks to ios availability, is now nothing more than the cost of a trip to Starbucks, as opposed to the windows version's 90 dollar cd distribution with a nice high quality a t and t natural voice so that you get what you're paying for. And might I also point out, since you did mention choosing what you need and don't need, APH dose give you that choice. Don't need the natural voice because you've already purchased a voice or two? No problem, purchase the downloadable distribution. But back on topic. An interactive tutorial for the screen readers is the same concept. Just like the typing programs disallow the universal ctrl+alt+del command to execute, that's precisely what an interactive tutorial would do. Voiceover does this same thing. Puts you in a simulated environment that is just like the real thing, but doesn't actually allow anything to go wrong so you can feel free to have a playatround without causing anything catastrophic, if you will. You could say that Jaws once was guilty of providing nothing interactive, but 1 there's Leasey now, and 2 at least the tutorials were very nicely narrated cassettes and daisy books, and, sometimes, Clark would actually demonstrate the topic rather than just r ead it. JAWS and I definitely have a love-hate relationship, mostly hating it ,but I genuinely like the efforts they put into training. As much as I am in complete agreement with the article as it not only is direct and to the point, but it also is exactly the problem we're facing in this day and age summed up completely, I will acknowledge that some folks still need training of some sort, which is why I thought an interactive tutorial would be what people need. And then there's Leasey, and the reason I'm glad there's 2 packages, one for novices and one for, I'd say semi-advanced users. How bout another one that does the behind the scenes scripting to make facebook, Spotify and all others accessible, but doesn't leave you with this closed off, noob-friendly *no offense* interface? It's true that you can kind of let Leasey work in the background, but using it requires that interface, and I feel there should be some level of customization of how much the interface holds your hand. Think of programs like q-seek, which assume you know what you're doing with searches, while still making it easy to search wikipedia, manpages for linux, perform calculations, or laugh your ass off by seeing how urban dictionary defines your name. Lol! But that, is exactly what research-it did, only in a much smaller, much more affordable program at 10 bucks. That's what I would've liked to see in Jaws, optional convenience not at the expense of the user should they not need it.